FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

Is a separated common law husband required to pay spousal or

Customer Question

is a separated common law husband required to pay spousal or child support for his pregnant wife?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: idaho
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: reported to wife's councelor
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: wife is pregnant with 16th child and common law husband isn't providing any support
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 16 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

If you met Idaho's criteria for common law marriage before January 1, 1996, then you are legally married and you will be treated as a married couple for legal purposes, including the requirement that you get a legal divorce in order to end your relationship. As such, the husband could be required to pay support, if they divorce. As far as the issue with child support, then the father would have a legal obligation to pay child support as well, when the baby is born and the mother can go after him for prenatal care and support.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 13 days ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!