Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I am a Ca,resident who purchased a home with my ex-girl

Customer Question

I am a Ca,resident who purchased a home with my ex-girl friend. I broke up with her and she has changed the locks. what are my rights to gain access to our home?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me who is on the deed to the property?

.

Is there any type of protective order in place?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We both are and no.
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Ok, then you both have exactly equal rights to use and possession of the property. So she can't prevent you from being there and you can't prevent her from being there. That means that if she has changed the locks, you have the right to call a locksmith and have them open the door to the property to allow you access and make a key.

.

She has no right to prevent your access and unless one of you gets a protective order against the other, then neither of you can prevent the other from living there..

.

.

thanks