David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

I got an RO. The last time I saw the judge he said, "this

Customer Question

I got an RO. The last time I saw the judge he said, "this may very well not be a valid restraining order, you can contest it, if you would like." How do I go about contesting it?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  David Stewart replied 2 months ago.

Hello: you will need to file a request in the court that issued the Restraining Order asking it to be lifted. You would be granted a hearing date and then you would serve the paperwork on the person(s) that got the RO issued. At the hearing you will have the burden of proof to show why the RO should be lifted and the other side can argue why it should not be lifted. If you are not having any issues with the person that issued the restraining order you may be able to contact them through a lawyer or third party to request their agreement for the RO to be lifted and if so then you likely can skip the hearing and simply go get it signed off by the Judge who issued the RO in the first place. It is best in this instance to retain an attorney in the city where the RO was issued and have them take you through the process to get it lifted properly and for good. I hope this helps! David