RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I have a strange one. A friend of mine beat cancer last year

I have a strange one. A friend of mine beat cancer last year and was told the chances of her getting pregnant were microscopic. We started sleeping together and BOOM. of course. She knows i dont want another kid, me and her are ok. But is there like some document she can sign, saying that shes taking responsibility for the baby and none of it is my responsibility. Essentially id be a sperm donor. Cause shes not sure if she'll ever be able to get pregnant again and i actually dont didagree with her. She said she will sign any document needed to release me from all baby liabilities. Is that even possible?

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

It is possible here to relinquish parental rights.But she will need a lawyer to tile for termination of you parental rights and a relinquishment for you to sign.And then you have to convince the judge that this is in the best interests of the child to leave the child without a parent to support.That can be a tough argument.But she is going to need a lawyer to file for termination of your rights.

It is possible here with a lawyer to file to terminate your parental rights . It is like to cost you say $2,500 here in legal fees and court costs.

I appreciate the chance to help you .If you give me a state I will get you lawyer referral.Thanks again.

I see you are in California

call the State Bar of California at
(866)(###) ###-####/a>

For lawyer referral.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its better for her to just put she doesnt know who the father is on the birth certificate?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I dont understand how if two people who are not in disagreement, decide that one would be willing to help the other get pregnant as a favor to a good friend, that theres no way to legalize it without a long process.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We really do live in a horrible place dont we.

So its better for her to just put she doesn't know who the father is on the birth certificate? Yes but she can change her mind later it isn't permament.

I agree with you here but there is not a simple way.I tell my children its like buying s Expeditions and making 6 years of payments for each one but you never get to drive it.Babies are real expensive and odds are at some point she wants you to pay for it.They always say one thing but 9 times out of 10 they come after you for support.If she does the minimum support is $700 or more for 18 years her in California.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She already has an 18yr old and a 9yr old.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i have a 14 yr old.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ive been paying support for years.

You get a support break with two kids.

So you know what I am talking about and what they cost.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Were both very much aware of how much strain babies are

Well she could give it up for adoption or abortion, I know those are personal but they're out there.And I have three kids myself if it makes you feel better.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yeah but what im saying is why wouldnt we be able to make a legal agreement about it since we both have kids already and understand exactly what were agreeing to as two almost 40 yr old adults?

She can put unknown for the birth certificate thats better for you.

The only way to terminate your rights is for her to file a termination petition and have judge terminate.You would sign a relinquishment document and it can be done here shortly after birth.I mean money wise you can offer to split the lawyer.Its a good deal for you here to do so.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No we both are fine with it the way i mentioned it. She wants it but doesnt want me to be responsible cause if i didnt want her to have it, id tell her and shed respect it.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If its possibly her last chance to have a baby, i want her to be happy. I just dont want a baby lol

The reason it is not simple is because the judge wipes out your duty to support the child for its life.So its not simple here.Again I would offer to split the lawyer here, even pay if you have to.Thats like 2 or 3 support payments.

I wish you both the best.I know this has been a real surprise in many ways.

I appreciate the chance to help you .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
a judge wont have any issues with this?

You need to obtain a court order / judgment to relinquish your rights. A judgment terminating parental custody and control "terminates all parental rights and responsibilities with regard to the child"--including all further child support obligations. Thus, the parent whose rights are severed by the decree may no longer be reached for future child support. [Ca Fam § 7803; County of Ventura v. Gonzales (2001) 88 Cal.App.4th 1120, 1123-1124, 106 Cal.Rptr.2d 461, 464]

Likewise, an order terminating parental rights (whether or not an adoption or other permanent placement plan has been adjudicated) completely severs the parent-child relationship, extinguishing the affected parent's child support obligation and divesting the court of authority to make a child support award against that parent. [Ca Fam § 7803; County of Ventura v. Gonzales (2001) 88 Cal.App.4th 1120, 1123-1124, 106 Cal.Rptr.2d 461, 464 (Ca Wel & Inst § 366.26 termination of father's parental rights); see also County of Orange v. Rosales (2002) 99 Cal.App.4th 1214, 1219-1220, 121 Cal.Rptr.2d 788, 791-791; Fraizer v. Velkura (2001) 91 Cal.App.4th 942, 946, 110 Cal.Rptr.2d 918, 921]

If you can positive rate when we are done it is always much appreciated.