Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
66887675

I have out of state child support, state of illoise to be

Customer Question

I have out of state child support , state of illoise to be exact , what percentage of my social security backpayments can day garnish , I live here in Nevada , I own 24 thousand in back child support because of me being unemployed BC of my disability ?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That social security disability, do my monthly payments stay the same?
Expert:  Thelawman2 replied 2 months ago.

llinois uses the federal limits set forth under the Consumer Credit Protection Act (CCPA). Federal law limits what can be taken from your paycheck for this type of wage garnishment. Up to 50% of your disposable earnings may be garnished to pay child support if you are currently supporting a spouse or a child who isn't the subject of the order. If you are not supporting a spouse or child, up to 60% of your earnings may be taken. An additional five percent may be garnished for support payments over 12 weeks in arrears.

Depending on your social security benefits, there are some types that are exempt from garnishment. A parent cannot be ordered to pay child support out of their Supplemental Security Income. However, a person who collects Social Security Disability Insurance can be ordered to pay child support out of that income.