Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

AFTER 22 YRS MARRIED WE ARE DIVORCNG IN AZ HOW IS ALLIMONY

Customer Question

AFTER 22 YRS MARRIED WE ARE DIVORCNG IN AZ HOW LONG IS ALLIMONY TO BE PAID? AND IS THIS CONSIDERED A LIFE TIME RELATIONSHIP NOW?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Arizona statute ARS 25-319 requires a court to find that the spouse who seeks spousal maintenance needs it. Then, the statute also requires the court to determine the amount and duration of the award. The award can be either temporary or permanent in nature. Permanent spousal support refers to long-term support which can be without a defined end.

Now a days AZ courts generally award permanent maintenance only to spouses who are unable to become self-supporting; for example due to age or disability. This is true even for long marriages such as yours. A couple can always agree between themselves to provide one spouse with long-term maintenance if both agree that this is fair.

Please Note:

(1) The information provided above is general in nature and for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information. If you need or want legal advice you should consult with a local lawyer of your choice who can better guide you after reviewing all the pertinent facts and details. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and

(3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.