Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

CAN I SUE MY SOON TO BE EX-WIFE FOR FILING HER JOINT

Customer Question

CAN I SUE MY SOON TO BE EX-WIFE FOR FILING HER JOINT BANKRUPTCY CHAPTER 13, WHEREUPON I NEVER RECEIVED FINANICAL ASSISTANCE DIRECTLY FROM HER. I HAD TO PAY HER STUDENT LOANS SHE APPLIED FOR PRIOR TO MY MARRIAGE TO HER.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: STATE OF MICHIGAN, BUT CHAPTER 13 WAS FILED IN THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI IN 2010
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: YES, FILED IN 2010 DISCHARGED IN 2015
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: YES, I FILED FOR A DIVORCE IN 2014, DECIDED TO ATTEMPT RECONCILE IN 2015 AND ALLOWED HER BACK INTO THE MARITAL HOME, DID NOT IMPROVE, SHE FILE FOR A DIVORCE IN SEPEMBDER OF 2015, ABANDONED THE HOME ONCE AGAIN AND NOW WISHES TO GET THE HOUSE AND I PAY EVERYTHING AFTER BEING EVICTED. I HAVE PAID ALL EXPENSES SINCE PURCHASE IN YEAR 2004, SHE HAS PAID NOTHING.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

Unfortunately, you cannot sure her for filing bankruptcy. In the divorce proceeding, the JUdge should take into account the separate property bills you paid as well as any other financial assistance but even if your wife did not have a job and was a house wife, the court will give her credit for that too. The court will make all decisions under its discretion regarding what assets to give each spouse. Mississippi law requires that the division be equitable (fair), but not necessarily equal. So if you paid all bills then the Judge will take that into account but you will not be able to sue her personally for declaring bankruptcy.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl