Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have an name change issue. I was born with vineyard on my

Customer Question

I have an name change issue. I was born with vineyard on my birth certifcate but at some point my parents whom I do not have contact with changed it to Alexander but my birth certificate has vineyard and my social and drivers and everything else including my marriage license has Alexander on it. I can't get a new social without a birth certificate but they wont give me a birth certificate because my id doesn't match. What should I do.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Adoption/Name change was in Georgia and I was born in TX
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I'm not sure my parents told my family they filed in Georgia but I have no way of knowing if that is true
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about this difficulty.

You need to file Petition with the Court in Georgia for an Order allowing the State's Department of Vital Statistics to release your new Birth Certificate to you without further delay. The Petition would be filed at the local Courthouse. You can obtain forms at the Clerk's office.

Goodluck with your case,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I file at my local courthouse in texas for a record in georgia? My birth certificate never said Alexander which is what I have gone by since my first vaccines as a child.

I am sorry, but I do not understand your follow-up questions.

I did not say to find in Texas. I said to file in Georgia where the Certificate in question is.

You previously indicated that your name was changed. So, I am not sure about your statement that your Birth Certificate "never" said "Alexander.

Kindly clarify.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My name when I was born in texas was Vineyard. At some point my parents allegedly changed it or adopted me and changed it to Alexander which took place in georgia. I have never needed a birth certificate as an adult until I went to get married to which I was told in texas where I live in I couldn't have a copy because my drivers license and social security card both read Alexander and my birth certificate has Vineyard on it. So I can't change my name to my now married name. Somehow my name was changed to Alexander but never changed legally on my birth certificate. So my names on my forms of identification don't match and haven't for 35yrs.

Thank you for the information.

You would need to contact the State of Georgia, the Courthouse where the adoption took place to request the Adoption records if the records are not sealed. If the records are sealed, you would need to file Petition with the Court in Georgia for permission to see your records to see whether there is infact a change of name. In the alternative, you can file for change of name in Texas at your local Courthouse to get the name of Alexander. Once you get the Order from the Court, then you would then use it to get your new Social Security.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But my name on my social doesn't need to be changed to Alexander it already is Alexander. The only document with Vineyard on it is my birth certificate

Your initial post stated exactly the following:

"I have an name change issue. I was born with vineyard on my birth certifcate but at some point my parents whom I do not have contact with changed it to Alexander but my birth certificate has vineyard and my social and drivers and everything else including my marriage license has Alexander on it. I can't get a new social without a birth certificate but they wont give me a birth certificate "

I do not have anything else to add. So, I will opt out and give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Your previous expert has opted out and I have opted in. Please tell me:

1) what state are you living in NOW?
2) what is your name on the following documents (please list each): SSN, Birth Certificate, Driver license, US passport (if any)?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Hello! Just touching base to see if you still needed an answer and if you could reply to my query. Thanks!