FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

I live with my boyfriend, now the relationship is over he

Customer Question

I live with my boyfriend, now the relationship is over he want me and my daughter to leave. I've been looking for places and extra job. What can he do to me? Can he actually throw us out just like that? Also I helped him fix his house (the house burned out before we met) from the very beginning, spend a lot of my money and put a lot of work into that, what can I do?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 19 days ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. No, he can not just throw you out. If he wants to evict you, he must first provide you with the proper written notice. Then, if you remain after the times passes, he needs to proceed through the court and obtain an eviction. If you fail to leave at that time, them he can go back to court and ask that the Sheriff physically remove you from the home.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
If he do that, how long is the process?

He would first need to provide you with at least a months written notice and then after that, the eviction process could take another 4-6 weeks, so you likely have a month in a half to two months.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How about all the money and work I did in the house, what can I do?

Unless there is/was an agreement in writing, that he would pay you back, the court would likely see this as something you did voluntarily and as a gift and you could not recover it, unless he agreed to pay you back.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Most of the furnitures are mine, can he said its his and don't let me take all that's mine with me?
What you purchase you can take. He has no legal right to it and if he refuses and tries to keep it you can sue him for the damages and costs
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
How can I prove its mine?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Any receipts you may have or statements. If not then you can testify to it in court
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
He didn't let me in the house once, I went to the police but the officer was his long time friend, they didn't help me at all and that night I had to sleep on my friends house, if that happens again what can I do?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Still there?
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
It is a civil matter so the police will not get involved. However if you have to stay in a hotel or incur costs as a result of him forcing you out illegal you can sue him to recover damages