P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
11181181

Our daughter is getting married in Bimini Bahamas in July

Customer Question

our daughter is getting married in Bimini Bahamas in July 2017 and she has a 14 year old son that lives with her full time and his father lives in Fl. she receives child support from the father BUT she has to have a passport for her son to be able to go to wedding and his father is refusing to let him get a passport. Also last year I took this child to Fl on my dime to his fathers wedding because he ask for him to be there. So no god reason for him not letting his son go. Can you help or what should our daughter do???
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: we are in Missouri
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no have calls out no answer yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well at this point there is NO visiting rights pout into place and she is NOT wanting to open that if she can do this without having to
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

The court can assist with this...that is, the court (the same court that issued the current custody order) can step in and order dad to cooperate in the passport application process. Your daughter will need to hire an attorney to prepare and present this to the court...but this is absolutely something that the court can address...I would expect the court to issue the order (to force dad to assist with this) since it would be in the best interest of the child to be able to experience this.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
his name is ***** ***** certificate only and he pays child support but they have never been to court to set up any type of visitation. his father up and moved to Fl. about 5 yrs ago
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
04 October 2016 02:04his name is ***** ***** certificate only and he pays child support but they have never been to court to set up any type of visitation. his father up and moved to Fl. about 5 yrs ago

In that case she can head to her county court and file this (with the help of a local attorney)