LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney

I was court ordered to split the cost of a psychological

Customer Question

I was court ordered to split the cost of a psychological evaluation for my child's father. The evaluator who examined him recommended classes before being re-evaluated. It is now time for the second evaluation. Am I obligated to pay again? It was court ordered but not for me to do it in the event of a second evaluation being necessary.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 21 days ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  LegalGems replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for your question;

If the court order states that the parties will split the initial psych evaluation, then the spouse need not contribute to subsequent evaluations absent a court order to the contrary. If the court order only ordered one evaluation, then the individual is not required to submit to a second evaluation absent a court order directing this.

If the order is vague, and states that the parties shall split all psych evaluation costs, then that would include any subsequent issues; however, it is possible to request clarification from the court, asking the court to determine responsibility as to the follow up session, if the wording is vague.

Generally there is a tendency, when a judge orders that a cost be divided, to continue with requiring both parties to contribute 50%, unless the additional expense is necessitated by the individual's action (ie failing to show up for the appointment).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 18 days ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.