Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.

Wondering if we have any option legally to get someone to

Customer Question

Hi wondering if we have any option legally to get someone to stop slandering my family. My soon to be ex son in law has posted on facebook doubts to the paternity of my other daughter's recently miscarried baby. He stated he "heard things" . this is false and a rumor that could damage the daught er's. Career as a special ed teacher. For the sake of my oldest daughter we have ignored other nasty comments against just divorce mad
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 23 days ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 23 days ago.

Your daughter can sue them for defamation. Actually, she would start with a cease and desist letter to anyone making these false accusations.

If this does not get a retraction, she will need to file suit for defamation. This cause of action is specifically for damage caused to one's reputation. To establish a prima facie case of defamation, four elements are generally required:

1. a false statement purporting to be fact concerning another person or entity;

2. publication or communication of that statement to a third person;

3. fault on the part of the person making the statement amounting to intent or at least negligence; and,

4. some harm caused to the person or entity who is the subject of the statement.

This involves complex litigation and it is strongly advised that she retain local counsel to assist you in protecting your rights before taking any action in court for this matter. Also, any cease and desist letter will carry more impact on attorney letterhead.

If you need assistance in finding an attorney, contact your state or local bar association. You can also try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database of attorneys searchable by location and specialty.