JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

I caught my husband cheating and want to move out of our

Customer Question

I caught my husband cheating and want to move out of our leased home. Can I do this without being responsible for the 6 months left on the lease?
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 24 days ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 24 days ago.

It depends on whose name is ***** ***** lease as the leasing party. If it is solely in your husband's name then it would be a community debt but you wouldn't be personally responsible.

If your name is ***** ***** either alone or with your husband then there is nothing you put in your facts that would relieve you of your liability. There could be other facts that you haven't mentioned that would release you of any liability but you'd have to explain them.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Would it help me in court if I have proof of him cheating?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
My name is ***** ***** lease
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 24 days ago.

What type of court proceeding? It would help you with a better property split in a divorce but that's the only kind of case that it would be relevant and admitted. If you are asking whether it would help you if you were sued for the lease then no, it wouldn't even be allowed into evidence.