Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
17897874

My sister was recently dicorced and her ewx continues to

Customer Question

My sister was recently dicorced and her ewx continues to harras her. Even setting of her car alarm in middle of night. Any thoughts?
Rob
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Has she contacted the police?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

I told her to but she has not done so yet.. Concerning your phone help is that fee in addition to the monthly fee I pay for this service>

Rob

Expert:  Loren replied 2 months ago.

Hi Rob. Thanks for following up.

Yes, phone calls are a "premium service" for an additional fee, but I am happy to continue online.

NY has anti-stalking laws which the ex is violating. She needs to file charges with the local police and also seek an order of protection at the local court. The clerk will have th forms and assist in filing.

NY CLS Penal § 120.45. Stalking in the fourth degree. (1999)
A person is guilty of stalking in the fourth degree when he or she intentionally, and for no legitimate purpose, engages in a course of conduct directed at a specific person, and knows or reasonably should know that such conduct:

1. is likely to cause reasonable fear of material harm to the physical health, safety or property of such person, a member of such person's immediate family or a third party with whom such person is acquainted; or

2. causes material harm to the mental or emotional health of such person, where such conduct consists of following, telephoning or initiating communication or contact with such person, a member of such person's immediate family or a third party with whom such person is acquainted, and the actor was previously clearly informed to cease that conduct; or

3. is likely to cause such person to reasonably fear that his or her employment, business or career is threatened, where such conduct consists of appearing, telephoning or initiating communication or contact at such person's place of employment or business, and the actor was previously clearly informed to cease that conduct.

For the purposes of subdivision two of this section, “following” shall include the unauthorized tracking of such person's movements or location through the use of a global positioning system or other device.