Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I have a question regarding the emancipation of minors from

Customer Question

hello I have a question regarding the emancipation of minors from their parents
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No, my question is about military enlistment. If I were enlisted in the military at 17 does that emancipate me? Or only a court order can emancipate me?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

Maybe. The answer depends on the law of the State where you are living and the facts of your personal situation. Unless your State has a specific law on this issue, the answer will probably depend on whether your parents continue to provide you with financial support after you enlist. For instance, a*****found that a minor was NOT emancipated because of parental support, even after enlisting. Bradford v. Futrell, 225 MD 512 (1961). I know of no case law on point in Illinois that would hold otherwise but you technically could be emancipated if you did enlist. I would go ahead and go through with an official emancipation to cover your bases and go through the court. Here is the Illinois statute: http://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=2094&ChapterID=59

I can give you more information if you need on the emancipation process. Just let me know.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if I am living with my parents in Illinois and enlisting in the military it wont emancipate me? They support me financially and I don't have any experience living independent from them so I don't know if those are factors or not.