CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

In California does getting engaged has legal binding? Means

Customer Question

In California does getting engaged has legal binding ? Means if I get engaged to my living boyfriend do we come under family law or community property rules ? I intend to have prenup before I marry so do I need that before I get engaged ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using the forum.

No - an engagement does not create any form of legal relationship. If you intend to create a prenuptial agreement you do not need to do that until sometime before the wedding.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. so when does the partnership becomes legal in California ? Only after marriage ?

Yes, the marriage is the legal relationship - not the engagement.

(Note - the term "partnership" is not a legally accurate description of a marriage, that is a term for a business relationship as far as legal terms go - there is nothing wrong with using this term in describing a marriage in general, but if you are using it for legal purposes - it is not quite accurate).