How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37642
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the legal guardian and custodial parent of my children,

Customer Question

I am the legal guardian and custodial parent of my children, ages 8 and 4 .
My ex husband has standard visitation, every other weekend and one night a week for a sleepover that is not in the stipulation but I agreed to let him have it. I am remarried and pregnant . We are very excited as are the kids to have a sibling. My ex husband knows and seems fine with it , but he is a very jealous, vindictive person. He had a 3 year affair and is currently living with the woman he had the affair with. She has one child and had absolutely no relationship with her own child or my children. My children are very close with my second husband and very excited to have a sibling on the way. My question is , can my ex , being the angry narcissist that he is , change the custody agreement ? It's been in effect for 3 years and the kids are settled in the routine and my job allows for me to be with them after school and school holidays. I am just paranoid at his calmness in the situation and I feel like he's plotting. :( thank you in advance!
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 months ago.

Here the ex may well try to file to modify legal custody or visitation.There may well be alternative motives involved.Anytime you allow the other parent additional time you set yourself up for the argument that there should be legal modification.This has also been know to be grounds for reducing support if the amount of time spent with the ex is increased.

So yes it is very possible that the ex here would seek to modify the current orders arguing that the increased time should be made permanent and that might also include reduction in child support if he gets increased time.You should be wary of all of this I see it all too often.You might want to at least sporadically go back to old arrangement so that he doesn't get extra time every week.Tough call but anytime he gets more time you runs the risk he returns to court here.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 3 months ago.

Anytime you mess with the visitation arrangement you run risk of the ex returning to court to make it permanent.

Thanks again.