Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

Mother in law with alzeimer was lost and found by police put

Customer Question

Mother in law with alzeimer was lost and found by police put in mercy hospital, and now is locked in psyquiatric ward, they won't release her to her son. Son is desperate because of deplorable condition of the place. What can be done?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 21 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using What state is involved in this matter? Is she being held involuntary as a harm to herself or others? Has there been a court order or has there been a petition for a court order to hold her? How long has she been held?

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 3 days ago.

You never replied to my questions for more specifics but most states have statutes that allow for emergency orders of detention which means that a person can be held against their will because they are a harm to themselves or others or can't take care of their basic needs. They would not and cannot release her until she is deemed to no longer be a possible harm. This is unfortunate but the state laws inmost states are clear on this and it will be up to her treating physician to get an emergency order for the court and if granted by the court, how long she will have to stay there.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: