How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1219
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding child support. After four years

Customer Question

I have a question regarding child support. After four years of being divorced, my x-husband is requesting that I supply him with receipts that show how I am spending the money on the children. He is also stating that the money I am given monthly should pay for ALL of their clothing, which means I should purchase clothing to have at his home as well. Is this true?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer, former trial lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues and other legal issues. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of our discussion I’m going to ask you to rate me, okay? I’d appreciate it because this is the only way we get credit for our time here today. It is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney. The attorney herein is licensed in NY only.

If I’m back not here right away, I’m typing my answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, Thank you
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

This happens from time to time, but providing receipts is not necessary for you to do. The whole idea of child support is to make less paperwork and not create more paperwork -- this is not a fair request and it's unlikely a judge is going to make you do that. You can't possibly do that anyway. I'm sure in the last 4 years you spent all kinds of things on the kids and don't have most of the receipts anymore. It's a ridiculous request but non-custodial parents do it sometimes. No -- you don't have to provide it. It's unduly burdensome so a court will tell him no too.

I can't tell you how many people have fought over the kids' clothes. It's a constant argument. It's so petty, but he's the one who is starting it. This happens a lot. He should have his own clothes for the kids. EACH parent is responsible for supporting the kids by a certain percentage. The child support was figured out the way it was because of what he is earning, your earnings, etc. Tough luck for him, but he has to make sure they have some clothes when they are there. You don't have to buy everything for the kids. This is what it's called to be a parent, and he needs to step up to the plate and do his share besides paying child support. He can buy some clothes and keep them there. He's just giving you a hard time and that's all this is.

Don't let him continue to do this. If he does, you may want to speak with a family attorney in your area, and I can help you find some. Hopefully you can nip this in the bud and tell him no receipts, no clothes, sorry -- that's not what the law says.

Does the help you and answer your question?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well this is what I assumed, but is there anyway to show or prove that child support is paid for things in my household and he needs to provide for his own?
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

You have a court order for child support right?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

I'll see if I can find a write-up for you. I'll be right back.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

As in my state, there is nothing written in stone on this. It is up to a judge's interpretation.

Here is how it can happen, and maybe you recognize yourself in one of these scenarios:

1) You, the custodial parent, send the kids with a suitcase full of clothes. Dad decides to be a pain and doesn't send the clothes back.

2) You don't send the kids with clothes and he has nothing for them to wear. If you send clothes with them and he will return them, you're better off doing that. If he doesn't return them, then he can buy his own clothes for the kids.

I'd hate to see you go to court over clothing but people do! It's such a waste of money though. It's something you and he should work out. It's not written into statutes, so it's a matter of how states have interpreted it, and they all interpret it the same. They want mom and dad to figure it out between themselves.

So it really depends on how cooperative he is. If they have enough clothes to wear, they can pack a bag and bring it to his house but you have to insist that the clothes come back with them.

Fighting about clothes, on his part, is just his way of trying to get control over you. It's terrible but it happens a lot. See if you can avoid this situation and work it out with him.

The one thing that you do not have to do is provide receipts. He probably just wants to make sure you're not taking expensive vacations to Europe or cruises or something outrageous, although you have the right to take the kids where you want, I'm sure.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you. I appreciate the response.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

Does this work for you? Can you work this out with the father so that you don't have to go to court?

Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

Please let me know if you need any more information, such as where to find an attorney in your area, or anything else related to this question. Id' rather be rated positively and if I didn't answer all of your questions, I'd like to have a chance to make sure that I do. Thanks in advance for rating me. If you need more information, let me know as I’m happy to give it.

I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. Kindly rate me positively so that I can get credit. It is no additional charge to you.

Please accept my answer, rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating.

We are not employees of Just Answer but are independent contractors, so your rating is very important to us so that we can be reimbursed for our work. Thank you!

You are also welcome to come back to this room free of charge to ask me a follow-up to this question at any time. Be well and thank you for letting me help you tonight.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok, thank you.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 7 months ago.

You're most welcome. I hope that you can work this out because judges hate dealing with clothing issues but they have to deal with it a lot. I am here for you so if you want to come back at any time for a follow-up question, feel free to do so! Best of luck to you!

Related Family Law Questions