Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

My ex-spouse and I bought a house together in 2000, shortly

Customer Question

My ex-spouse and I bought a house together in 2000, shortly after our divorce in 2013 she filed bankruptcy. In the divorce the judge granted her a portion of the proceeds once I sale the house after our minor son reached the age of 18. Does she have any legal claim to the house since she filed bankruptcy?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

Does she have any legal claim to the house since she filed bankruptcy?

.

Yes, the bankruptcy filing wouldn't affect the judge's ruling in the divorce.. The BK would just have erased any financial responsibility that she would have had for the mortgage. But it doesn't change her ownership interest in the house or affect the judge's order that she receive X% once it sells.

.

.

thanks