How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2957
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to figure out what to childsupport put a levy on my

Customer Question

trying to figure out what to childsupport put a levy on my bank account
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: florida
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no they took all my money
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

If you do not pay your child support, the Department of Revenue Child Support Enforcement Division (DOR/CSE) can seize your bank account to pay for the child support you owe. Before the DOR/CSE can levy your bank account it must send you a Notice of Child Support Delinquency. The notice tells you:

(1) the amount you owe and

(2) that you have 30 days

(a) to pay the full amount, or

(b) send in the form that asks DOR/CSE /CSE to review its decision that you owe back child support.

If you send in a written request for an Administrative Review, the DOR/CSE can only start to levy your bank account after they send you the results of the review. If you do not pay the money or you do not ask DOR/CSE to review its decision the DOR/CSE can levy your accounts. The bank levy is in effect for 60 days or until the back child support is paid, which ever comes first.

The DOR/CSE cannot freeze money in your bank account if it comes from:

(1) Transitional Assistance to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC),

(2) Transitional Aid to Needy Families (TANF),

(3) Emergency Assistance for Elderly, Disabled, and Children (EAEDC), Supplemental Security Income (SSI), or

(4) State Veterans' benefits.

You can stop DOR/CSE from seizing your bank account if:

(1) The amount of past-due support in the Notice of Levy is more than you owe.

(2) Some or all of the money in your account comes from benefits like Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Transitional Assistance to Families with Dependent Children (TAFDC), Transitional Aid to Needy Families (TANF), or Emergency Aid for Elderly, Disabled, and Children (EAEDC).

(3) The money does not belong to you. For example, if you are keeping money for someone else in your account because you are their legal guardian.

(4) The levy causes you a severe hardship.

If your life is incredibly difficult because the DOR/CSE freezes your money, you can check the box on the bank levy response form that says, “The levy of my account causes me a severe hardship for the reasons stated below.”

Some reasons that the bank levy might cause a severe hardship for you are that the levy:

(1) keeps you homeless, or makes homeless,

(2) keeps you from buying food,

(3) makes your home’s water or electricity get shut off,

(4) keeps you from going to work or looking for work,

(5) makes you lose your job,

(6) keeps you from getting medical help for yourself or your children,

(7) keeps you from getting education services for your child with special needs,

(8) keeps you from buying basic clothing,

(9) keeps you from paying your employees,

(10) makes you lose your business or go into bankruptcy, or

(11) keeps you in an abusive relationship.

You need to include documentation for any reason you have checked. Send in the Bank Levy response Form within 15 days from the date on the Notice of Levy. When DOR/CSE gets your Bank Levy response Form they review the decision to levy your accounts. After DOR/CSE reviews the decision to levy your account, they send you a letter. They may decide the levy was wrong. If it was wrong, DOR/CSE will undo the levy.

DOR/CSE may decide they were right to levy your account. If you think that DOR/CSE’s decision to levy your bank account was illegal, you can ask a court to review what DOR/CSE did. Asking a court decide if the bank levy is legal is asking for “judicial review.” Judicial review is a complicated process. You will need to retain an attorney to get a judicial review of DOR/CSE’s decision to seize your bank account. To get a judicial review, you must file a Complaint for Judicial Review within 45 days of the date of the DOR/CSE’s written decision. DOR/CSE’s decision on hardship claims is final. You cannot get the court to review hardship decisions. But, there is another option. It is a “Complaint for Equitable Relief.” It is a very difficult and complex court process. Again, You will need to retain an attorney to request equitable relief.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate:

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Related Family Law Questions