Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My Grandaughter moved in with a girlfriend about 2 weeks

Customer Question

My Grandaughter moved in with a girlfriend about 2 weeks ago. The girfriend lost her cell phone and accused my grandaughter of taking it, which she did not. My Grandaughter moved by mutual consent. There were words between and the girlfriend let her get one load of her things out and wouldn't let her get back into the apartment to get the rest of her things. My Grandaughter had a fairly new expensive bed that we bought her, a lot of expensive makeup and most of her clothes still in the apratment. The girl told her she would have to bring a policeman with her to get the rest of it. My grandaughter asked a Sheriff (who patrols our neighborhood) to go with her to the apartment and mediate. When they got there the Sheriff sided with the girlfriend and told my grandaughter that whatever she left now belonged to the girlfriend. Today we saw on Facebook that she is trying to sell this $1,200 bed for $100. My Grandaughter is going to the local court house to see about getting some help. What can we do.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Houston Texas.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: The night before she made her move, the girlfriend called the Sheriff because she thought my grandaughter had stolen her phone so there is probably a record of that.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, that's about it.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 28 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. It's very hard or us to answer a question like "what can we do" and provide you with helpful information. I need you to be more specific in your question(s) if you could. When we answer general ones like "what do I do", "what are my rights", or "what are my options", we have to give general answers and, invariably, the customer responds with "I already knew that". This type of forum works better if you ask specific questions so we know exactly what you are looking for.

Are you asking if she can sue to recover the value of her property?