Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I live separate from my wife and son for three years. No

Customer Question

i live separate from my wife and son for three years. No legal separation done. have been paying $550 a month and provide both with exallant insurance. he turns 18 this week and is not graduated from high school yet. he does not go to school. he is presently in the online school K12. do i have to continue paying child support?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Every state has a different cutoff for child support. Where does your son live?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Washington state

Thank you.

In Washington, child support ends when the child turns 18 unless there's a court order or written agreement that says otherwise. RCW 26.09.170. The mother could bring an action requesting child support until your son graduates, but you're not obligated to pay before she does that. She'd also have to show he was going to school at least half time, working toward his diploma.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Part time even!

As long as he's working toward his diploma, she may be able to extend support. Courts typically only require that a child be attending school half time. But it's not in the statutes, so you don't have to keep paying unless she files.

I've been informed that there was an issue with your payment. Please contact customer service for assistance.

Do you have any other questions about this?