LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My cps case is supposed to be closed at the end of the week

Customer Question

Hello my cps case is supposed to be closed at the end of the week Can they still force me to attend Aa after it's closed
JA: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?
Customer: Tx
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No bc it's almost over I completed the counseling and passed all my alcohol tests
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it thank u very much
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The fact that the CPS case is going to be closed plays no part in whether you must continue going to AA. If you were ordered to go to AA as part of the process of being reunited with your child(ren), and they order that you attend for a specific period of time, then yes, you are still obligated to attend AA, even though the case may be formally closed. This is no different from a court ordering you to pay restitution and your probation coming to an end. If the restitution is not paid by the time probation is over, it is nevertheless still owed.

If there was no minimum time that you were told that you have to attend AA, then if they close the case as having been completed, you may then terminate attending AA.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They never said how long I was to attend, at least not yet
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is unfortunate
Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Good afternoon,

If you have not been told that you must continue to go to AA until a specific time, or until they or a court tells you it is okay to cease, then you are safe to cease going when the CPS case is finally closed for good.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 2 months ago.

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Doug