Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

I have been divorced for 11 years and in the Final Decree,

Customer Question

I have been divorced for 11 years and in the Final Decree, my ex and I were suppose to have a QDRO completed. I need a lawyer who can do that.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Arizona
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No, I haven't been able to get one to call me back. I live in Indiana and have been calling various ones in Phoenix.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

In what state was the final divorce decree entered? Was it Arizona?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The divorce was finalized in Arizona.

You are correct in that you really need to get a local attorney to prepare and submit the QDRO for entry by the court. As long as the QDRO was provided for in the final divorce decree, you still have time to present the QDRO to the judge for entry. The QDRO (Qualified Domestic Order) is a court order that carries out the division of retirement benefits. Once entered, the QDRO should be sent to the plan administrator to set aside or distribute a portion of the retirement benefits to the payee. In your search for an attorney, don't just look for a family law or divorce attorney. Make sure that they have experience in preparing and filing QDROs with the court. Here is a link to an attorney in the Phoenix area that handles QDROs. Also, here is a link to the Arizona State Bar Lawyer referral Service. They can help you find a QDRO attorney as well. I hope this helps.

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, please do not forget to leave positive feedback (click on the 5 stars at the top of your page), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.