JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I have had my great grandbaby for 5 months both parents left

Customer Question

I have had my great grandbaby for 5 months both parents left him how do I get custody of him
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

You have to get a lawyer and then they will file a Petition in Suit Affecting Parent Child Relationship. You will then serve both parents with a copy of the petition although the lawyer will likely advise you to go ahead and get an emergency order giving you custody and then serve it with the petitions.

You will have standing, although the lawyer may tell you to wait until you have had the child for six months just so there is no question on the standing issue. Standing just means you have enough of an interest to sue. Likely, you have enough now since you have had the child for five months and you are the great grandmother but for most people it takes six months of care to establish standing.

The judge will then set a hearing and make a decision on who gets custody of the child.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.