Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

My 23 year old daughter was brutally murdered 3 months ago

Customer Question

My 23 year old daughter was brutally murdered 3 months ago in the small town of california city ca. The police don't seem to be doing anything. All I get is they're waiting for results. They haven't even spoken to the last known person (and person I believe responsible for her death) to ask any questions. Where do I go for help from here.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

First off, I'm very, very sorry for your loss. I have children, and I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you.

As far as the police are concerned, your options to get them to take action are fairly limited. The first option is to go directly to the detective working the case. If they are not responsive, you should go up the chain to their supervisors, and keep going up as necessary (including the city council, if necessary). If that doesn't work, you can always try a plea to the media, but, of course, that depends on whether they want to run the story or not. Legally, however, there is really nothing you can do to force them to take certain action in investigating the crime. In other words, you can't bring suit against the police department because they aren't moving fast enough on an investigation. In situations like this, the squeaky wheel definitely gets the oil.