Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

I live in Michigan and am going through a divorce. We are

Customer Question

I live in Michigan and am going through a divorce. We are currently waiting on arbritration. My spouse purchase a home months ago while we were waiting on our trial date, against court orders. I know there are dower laws in MI. I am not sure if there were any forms I should have been required to sign since we are still legally married.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You should have signed a "waiver of spousal interest" in the property as part of the transaction. If he claimed falsely he was single at the time of the sale, then the lender may not have asked. If he made this transaction contrary to court orders, then you need to file a motion for order to show cause for contempt against him in the court and the court can give you an award of monetary sanctions or even can give you an interest in the deposit paid on the house (1/2 share of the deposit money used that was marital funds, for example). So, you can address this through a contempt motion or you can seek to have it addressed by the arbitrator and seek your share of the marital funds he used to pay to obtain the new house.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you so much
Thank you for your reply.
If you have not yet done so, please click on the 5 star positive feedback at the top of your page, as the experts are not site employees and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave such positive feedback. Thank you.