JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I want to file for divorce in NJ. Its uncontested and by

Customer Question

Hello, I want to file for divorce in NJ. Its uncontested and by mutual agreement. But we want some support calculation what the law establishes as child support so we can agree among ourselves to terms. Is this something you could do?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

Are you just wanting to know how to calculate the child support near to what the law establishes as the guideline?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
just as a guideline. We plan to negotiate among ourselves afterwards to come up with a final amount. But we need a reference point.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

There is an online calculator at http://quickguide.njchildsupport.org/ which gives you a figure that is very, very close to what a judge is likely to order. Of course, the judge can vary off of this but if you enter the information into that calculator then you will come up with a figure that is within a few dollars of that which a judge will likely establish and often it is exactly right.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was hoping for something more solid than an online calculator. I mean, I would like someone to look at the numbers and tell me if they make sense or need adjustment. Is that something you could do? If so, we could set up a conference call with my spouse at a later time and discuss the numbers together. But I don't know if that's something you're allowed to do...
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

No, unfortunately we're not allowed to do that. The statutes on which the child support guidelines are based are at http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/rules/r5-6a.html

All the online calculator does is take the statutes and then use those figures in a calculator. Most lawyers either use the online calculators or use a calculator that is included with a set of software called ProDoc which is just a legal forms generator. However, if we were going to do it by hand the documents at the link above are where we would go.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would still like to have someone we could interact with throughout the divorce process. Is it legal in NJ to have divorce legal advice online/over the phone/through Skype (of course at reduced fees from what an attorney would charge at the office)? If so, could you send me 2 or 3 links of NJ services/attorneys that would do this? Again, mostly it's ok to go do-it-yourself style or doing online forms but we need to have someone we can asks questions to and that can guide us in our decisions.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

It's not illegal although most attorneys don't do it because the risk doesn't justify the return and most attorneys charge the same for information given in person, by Skype, or by email.

However, what you can do is go to www.lawyers.com and in the section there for area of practice enter Family Law. That website also lets you search by geographic location. My suspicion is you're going to have to make a lot of calls to find someone that can assist you in this way.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, then, thanks for your help.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.

You're very welcome.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 2 months ago.