Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can the grandparents get the grandkids when DFS GOT THEM

Customer Question

Can the grandparents get the grandkids when DFS GOT THEM FROM THEIR PARENT THE PARENT WANT US TO ADOPTED THEM
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The parents of the kids want us to take an adopted the bring them to las vegas. Nv can that be done even though they have the kid in the system of Missouri
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

See link for MO. child placement guidelines for the child welfare manual: https://dss.mo.gov/cd/info/cwmanual/section4/ch4/sec4ch4sub2.htm

Yes, child services MUST notify all grandparents and give preference to place the children with the grandparents. "Section 210.305, RSMo, requires the Division to give preference and first consideration for foster care placement to grandparents of a child. The Children’s Division must conduct an immediate diligent search to contact, locate, and place with grandparents once the decision has been made to take custody during the first three (3) hours after placement. The statute requires staff to place with grandparents unless the decision to place with grandparents is contrary to the welfare of the child. The statute also requires staff to continue to make diligent efforts, while the child is in care, to contact, locate, and place the child with a grandparent or another relative, with first consideration given to a grandparent for placement. To make emergency placements with relatives or kin, follow the Purpose Code “X”screening process outlined in Section 4 Chapter 12.3.

If the child is not placed with grandparents, the Children’s Service Worker must document in the case narrative and on the child’s CS-1 why the child was not placed with grandparents."

So the child should be placed with the grandparents and be able to adopt the children and move them if the parents sign off on the adoption.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did not get enough information did not like answer thanks anyway. Give him a one star rating
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello: A different Professional here.

Your Question:

The parents of the kids want us to take an adopted the bring them to las vegas. Nv can that be done even though they have the kid in the system of Missouri.

Response: The answer is Yes. This can be done, but the grandparents must follow the proper procedures for petitioning for adoption of the children in Missouri. The Petition for Adoption must be filed with the Juvenile Court in the County in Missouri where the children reside. See Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 453 Section 453.010.

You can obtain adoption package at the Courthouse in the Clerk's office.

Adoption forms --online