Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

I'm seriously considering on divorce my spouse. throughout

Customer Question

I'm seriously considering on divorce my spouse. throughout our relationship, she has been the one primarily earning more in the marriage. we have 2kids and I also have children from a previous relation. We both own separate homes, but live in house for the room. She has financially abandon the relationship in the past 4 yrs of the 6 yrs. What is my options???
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

In New Jersey, marital abandonment is viewed as willful and continued desertion for a period of 12 or more months. This is one of the at-fault grounds for dissolution of marriage in the state. To demonstrate desertion by your spouse, you must prove the following:

(1) Your spouse has been residing outside of the marital home for at least one year;

(2) You did not agree to the separation or abandonment;

(3) You did not cause the departure; and

(4) Your spouse failed to support you, your kids and/or the household while away.

In 2007, New Jersey law added irreconcilable differences as a ground for divorce. This transformed New Jersey into a no-fault state. Though fault based grounds are still available, these days they are rarely used to terminate a marriage. Moreover these at-fault grounds typically have little to no impact on how a judge determines the various orders for your divorce settlement. In the case of child custody, your spouse’s abandonment may have some impact, however. If the court finds that your spouse has deserted the children of the marriage, this can have come bearing on these rulings. Essentially, if you have had sole parental custody for the year or more that your spouse has been gone, the court is likely to make this arrangement permanent and legal in your divorce order.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated. See link for how to rate: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Thank you in advance.