Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I just received sole legal and physical custody of my 3&6

Customer Question

I just received sole legal and physical custody of my 3&6 year old. Their father was granted supervised visitation (there is a 50B in place). I want to move to another state where all my family is located in order to have support and finish my schooling. What are my options?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the father has only supervised visitation, it will be much easier to do. First, which is maybe unlikely, if the father agrees to the move and decides to act in the best interests of the children, he can sign a joint stipulation for you to move out of state with the children. This of course would be the easier of the two options.
If the father decides to not do what is best for the children, then she can file a motion to move out of state with the court that issued the custody order. In her motion she would describe why the move is best for the children, better quality of life, more family support, better educational opportunities and whatever else the mother believes to be a good reason in best interests of the children. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can take a motion that was already filed in your case and use it as a template and file your own motion and represent yourself and then mail a copy of the motion to the father.