KJL LAW
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

I'm 16 and trying to start the emancipation process,

Customer Question

I'm 16 and trying to start the emancipation process
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Lots
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
is anyone there
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience and also have extensive experience with landlord-tenant issues. I look forward to helping you today.

At the end of our discussion I’m going to ask you to rate me, okay? I’d appreciate it because this is the only way we get credit for our time here today. It is at no extra cost to you.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. You are advised to retain your own attorney.

I'll be back in a few minutes after I type my answer. Thanks!

I am not sure why nobody was answering your question but I can do that now for you. I'll be right back.

Can you tell me what county you are in?

That's okay. I can still answer your question. Are you still here?

Would you like a phone call? There are a lot of things that can be done in your state at age 16.

Are you looking for information about how to start the process yourself or with an attorney? I can send you a list of family lawyers in your area, but I don't know if you want to do this yourself or not. Please advise. Thanks!

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.
Good morning.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

From your question you would like to know if you can become emancipated at 16. In Michigan, you have to be at least 16 years old before you can request Emancipation. Since you are 16, you will have to prove to the Court, among other things, that you can be financially independent.

Under Michigan law a minor may be emancipated from his or her parents or guardian by operation of law or through a petition filed with the family division of the circuit court. MCL 722.4.

What it means by operation of law is that you either become legally married, are18 years old, or you are somehow on active duty with the US Armed Forces.

A petition for emancipation must be filed in the family division of circuit court in the county where you resides. The petition must be signed and notarized, and needs to include all of the following information:

(a) Your full name and birth date, and the county and state where the minor was born.

(b) A certified copy of the your birth certificate.

(c) The name and last known address of the your parents, guardian, or custodian.

(d) Your present address, and length of residency at that address.

(e) A declaration (statement) by you indicating that you have demonstrated the ability to manage your financial affairs, and any information you consider helpful to the judge.

(f) A declaration by you that you have the ability to manage your personal and social affairs.

(g) The petition must include an affidavit by any of the following individuals declaring that the individual has personal knowledge of the minor's circumstances and believes that under those circumstances emancipation is in the best interests of the minor:

(a) Physician.

(b) Nurse.

(c) Member of the clergy.

(d) Psychologist.

(e) Family therapist.

(f) Certified social worker.

(g) Social worker.

(h) Social work technician.

(i) School administrator.

(j) School counselor.

(k) Teacher.

(l) Law enforcement officer.

(m) Duly regulated child care provider.

After that you must serve a copy of the petition and a summons to on your parents or guardian.

Finally, the court will then have a hearing and determine if you have a legal right to be emancipated.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 8 months ago.

Please rate the question for credit and tracking. If you do not rate the question I will not get paid for assisting you with your question. You will not be charged extra to rate the question and you can ask follow up questions after you rate the question.

Expert:  KJL LAW replied 7 months ago.