Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

What things should I be documenting, to prepare for divorce?

Customer Question

what things should I be documenting, to prepare for divorce? to protect myself and the kids. i'm a father of three girls and my wife has been messing about with another man online through out our marriage, evidence of which i have tons. this is what has finished the marriage off.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to keep evidence of her neglecting the children or not spending as much time with them as you do, which would go towards you being able to seek custody on top of her committing adultery.
You also need to get control over all the finances and assets and make a list of everything, because all of those will be divided between the two of you.
You already have all the proof of the adultery, so I do not need to tell you that.
Quite honestly, the first one to file for divorce and seek temporary possession of the marital residence and temporary custody of the children usually gets what they ask for, so you should be going to an attorney as soon as possible and get the divorce filed with the motion for temporary custody and temporary possession of the home.