Law Tutor, Esq.
Law Tutor, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  N/A
96078538

I am married 34 years, three adopt kids, divorce fault,

Customer Question

I am married 34 years, three adopt kids, divorce fault , abuse and cruelty, not working at least 10 years, build the family business with my spouse.
What kind of alimony am I expecting??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Tutor, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. I am an attorney with over 20 years of experience and I look forward to assisting you today. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

What is his income. Does he make more money than you? What is your earning capacity?

In New Jersey, the judge will look at many factors to determine how much and what kind of alimony will be awarded. The judge will consider the spouse's need and the other spouse's ability to pay, the duration of the marriage, each spouse's age and physical and emotional status, each spouse's income, earning capacity, level of education and employability. The judge will also take into consideration other factors such as standard of living during the marriage and each spouse's financial contribution to the marriage. In New Jersey, there are no specific calculations or guidelines (like they have for child support guidelines). The court will do what is fair and equitable, taking into consideration the factors discussed above. That being said, since you were married 34 years, you may be able to receive a permanent award of alimony. There are other types of alimony, such as temporary alimony, rehabilitative alimony and reimbursement alimony. But given the length of the marriage, if you have the need and he has the ability to pay, your attorney will probably fight for a permanent award of alimony for you. Please keep in mind that alimony payments received will be taxable income to you, so you will have to claim it as income on your tax returns. Here is the alimony statute in New Jersey. Section 2A:34-23. I hope this helps. Do you have any other questions?

Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.