Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

I have advanced Parkinson disease. I have been paying

Customer Question

I have advanced Parkinson disease. I have been paying spousal support for 15 years (no children involved). my health costs brought me to file for modification/termination of support. the judge gave me a small modif but not enough and no explanation to why that amount. I filed for reconsideration without success. There is also a clause in the divorce settlement stipulating that at 65 'a new order shall be made". Judge said she will not consider and will not make any more changes. What can I do as I do not have the money for appeal courts.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Family Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: California.
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: How much is it?
JA: It's only $5.
Customer: IT SAYS THE REST WHEN I ANSWER!
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I SOUGHT IF I CHANGE THE VENUE I MAY GET ANOTHER JUDGE SINCE WE BOTH MOVED OUT OF THE CASE AREA. I DID CALL AN ATTORNEY WHO SAID THE JUDGE WILL MOST LIKELY PRIORITIZED THE LOCATION OF THE WIFE.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

You recourse under these facts is very limited. You can file for appeal if you can prove the judge made a legal error and/or abused her discretion. But, if you cannot afford to do that and you feel the judge has engaged in judicial misconduct, then you can file a misconduct complaint; but the reviewing authority has no ability to change the judge's decision. Only the appeals court can do that now that your motion for reconsideration has been denied. Also, changing venue will not help as (i) the concept of res judicata will apply [a matter that has been adjudicated by a competent court and may not be pursued further by the same parties] and (ii) the court that you are in retain continuing jurisdiction over the divorce case.

I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are paying for a professional and honest answer.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.