Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My wife passed away in Dec 2015 and her daughter is our

Customer Question

My wife passed away in Dec 2015 and her daughter is our Power of Attorney. I was in assisted living at the time but she removed me in June 2016 and returned me to my marital home. I still require assistance so she hired help for me, continued paying my bills and everything was fine for 1 month. I have requested copies of my wifes' will and life insurance but they refuse to provide them and have stopped paying my expenses or depositing any funds into my checking account. They have closed my savings account and left me with no other income outside my SS check to cover my expenses and the cost and maintenance of the house. They said they would come talk to me about 'the arrangements' when they have time but I haven't seen or heard anything from either one and its been a couple months, bills keep coming in, and I can't pay for my home help. They said I should sell my vehicle if I needed money and lose my help if I cant pay. I have requested many times for them to come talk to me but they have left me alone in the house with no help from them and no contact. My neighbors continue to help me but I haven't been able to compensate them for their professional services. I feel I have just been left here to die because I have lived longer than they thought I would. What can I do? Please help.
William *********
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am very sorry to hear about your loss and this situation. Can you please tell me:

1) You keep referring to "them" and "they" in your question. Who is them and they? Who is not providing a copy of the will, etc?

2) Do you know if formal probate has been filed for your wife's estate, or not? Or, not sure?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.