Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

The Ohio divorce decree states: husband receives pension

Customer Question

The Ohio divorce decree states: husband receives pension rights in lieu of other additional spousal support obligations, which would otherwise be required for the appropriate and reasonable support of the Husband given the incomes of the parties during the marriage and during separation... He re-married almost 2 years ago - is he still entitled to 1/2 of my pension?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Well first, can you please clarify if the the husband already received pension rights, or not?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The divorce decree was finalized in November of 2012 and QDROs were set up for him to receive 50% of my IRA and pension (and part of my 401k).
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. I see what you are saying. Essentially:
"H waived alimony in favor of pension. But since alimony may be reduced/voided due to remarriage, should not the same apply to the pension then, since the pension was chosen in lieu of alimony?"
Not necessarily. Even though the pension generally cannot be minimized at remarriage because the accrued pension is community property, but alimony can be minimized or voided if a party remarries, the fact is that this was an agreed upon divorce (meaning, I am guessing that the parties came to an agreement over the divorce). Just because he chose A over B, does not mean that A can be voided by the same application of law as B.
The Court knew very well what the decree stated. He could choose pension or alimony, but it does not mean that they were IDENTICAL in scope. So he chose one which is more advantageous and which may not be voided later on. The Court is likely to uphold this.
So yes, someone in his situation can still arguably get the pension.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.