RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

My legal spouse is in drug rehab...we have been separated 3

Customer Question

My legal spouse is in drug rehab...we have been separated 3 yrs and he is trying to give poa to his life in girlfriend ...what r my rights due to this in the state of Louisiana...we r not duvorced
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Thank you once again for your question.

There is no state law that requires a person name their spouse as a Power of Attorney, unfortunately. Therefore, if he wants his girlfriend to be the one responsible for handling things like managing his bank accounts, paying his bills, filing taxes, etc. in the event of disability, he can do so.

The document does not override a marriage, but then I'm not aware of a marriage granting one spouse any kind of control over the other. If you and your spouse own property together, his agent may act only with the same abilities that he himself would.

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating.

If you need clarification
about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Was there some additional information you needed regarding my answer, or some clarification, perhaps? If I have provided you less than 5 star service, please tell me how I may further assist you, I am here to help!

Was there additional information you needed or can I clarify something about my answer? If so, please let me know, as I'm happy to continue assisting you! If there is nothing further, I would kindly ask that you leave me a positive rating by clicking on the stars, so that I am credited for my time and assistance. You can always reply to this message after leaving a positive rating at no additional charge.