CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

A 17 year old was kicked out of her house and has no place

Customer Question

Hi a 17 year old was kicked out of her house and has no place to stay. Can she stay with us and would she be able to enroll in high shool with no problems?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. Please give me a few minutes to write a response and identify any additional resources for you.

The age of majority in Texas is 18 - see: http://law.justia.com/codes/texas/2005/cp/***-**-****29.00.html - this means that even though the child was "kicked out" their parents are still legally responsible for the child, and the child is still subject to their parent's control.

Taking in a child like this can be problematic unless you have some form of legal right to do so - the most common is a "guardianship" - see: http://texasguardianship.org/guardianship-information/guardianship-basics/guardianship-process-2/, but be aware, this places the full legal rights and responsibilities for the child on the individual or individuals that are applying to act as guardians for the child.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you!

You are welcome, and I do wish you the best with this matter.

Thank you for using our forum, and please do not forget to rate my service (the series of 5 stars next to the chat window) so that I can receive credit for assisting you.

If you would like to direct future questions to me specifically, you can do so by starting your new question with "ForCustomerquot; and a moderator will notify me.

Thank you again, and again I wish you the best.

Bill