RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I have a 8 page document I need reviewed. I filed an

Customer Question

I have a 8 page document I need reviewed. I filed an abatement for divorce. The reason was because of some items that were wrong, like dates and city. I decided to go ahead and sign the papers but the corrections haven't been made. Would they make a big difference?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Honestly these do not sound like major issues.As long as the property settlement and decree divided the assets fairly and you got what you wanted here I would not sweat it.It doesn't sound like there were any major issues with property, support, debts.The problems you cite are minor and really don't appear to harm you.The divorce and settlement were fair then you should be ok in completing this matter and moving on.I think you did the right thing here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could you review the papers before I sign them. I just want to make sure that there is nothing in them that will come back to bite me

Yes please post them here, be happy to read.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't want to sign the waiver. I want to be notified during the whole process.

Ok so what issues do you have or concerns here about them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it states that all matters pertaining to child custody, support and vistiations as well as all property issues between the parties have been fully resolved.She isn't asking for anything. The kids live with me the majority of the time and my son lives with me all of the time. I just wanted to make sure that this can't be changed in the future. Also I didn't want to sign the waiver not to be served papers and notified during the process. Can I sign everything else except for this?

This is really messed up here.It just grants a divorce.It does no settle custody, support , visitation, anything.Honestly I wouldn't sign this.It leaves you in legal no mans land, it doesn't address any of this or property or debts.You really need your own lawyer to draw up a real agreement and decree that give you custody and have her pay you support.And some kind of property division.I wouldn't sign the waiver either.I am not really sure what the lawyer is trying to do here.It leaves way to many things open and unresolved.

A lawyer here for you can save you a lot of heartache down the road.This really leaves so much on the table and resolves nothing but legally divorcing you .

I think you need local lawyer here to represent your interests and resolve all of this and include it in the divorce.This is some kind of cut rate/half hearted divorce decree.You can do better than this.Wouldn't agree to it.

Virginia Lawyer Referral Services

Attorney Referral Service

Address: 707 E Main St #1500, Richmond, VA 23219

Phone:(###) ###-####/p>

I sure would consider a lawyer to complete this here.It just isn't complete and there are too many issues left on the table that need to be resolved.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

I have never seen anything like this.Technically it divorces you, say they did a $100 divorce or something but nothing is resolved.You are right here you need a real decree and separation agreement.Thanks again and the best here.