Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

When i write alimony checks to my ex husband i write Alimony

Customer Question

When i write alimony checks to my ex husband i write Alimony on the memo lin and a short word to remind me why we are divorced, like" 33/60=0\bitter old man" ( since contended our 33 year marriage was nothing). Childish but I am the paying him (weird Calif law) and he was the one who was nasty. His lawyers me contend that it is harrassment. I say it is my check and I can write whatever I want on the memo line. Am I wrong?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: No just got their letter today.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They threaten to t as ke to court unless I start direct deposits. We've been divorced almost a year.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using

Harassment occurs when the abuser sets out to intentionally cause the victim emotional harm on a regular basis. Arguably, this could be considered harassment. I would doubt your ex could prove any significant damages but it is likely that a Judge would order you to cease this behavior. I would just stop it and end the problem. You cannot write whatever you want on the check if it causes emotional harm and this conduct for something you are ordered to do by the court could be considered that. It is unlikely that if you stop this behavior that the court would order you to start direct deposits but it is possible if you do continue writing snide comments on the check.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Was that the answer you were looking for? Please give me some feedback if not as I want to satisfy my customers. If you are satisfied, please rate my answer as this is the only way I will be compensated for my time by the site. See "rate an answer" on the following link for how to do so:

Thank you in advance.