RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .

I am divorced my ex qdro my retirement,i am retirement age I

Customer Question

I am divorced my ex qdro my retirement,i am retirement age I pay alimony she can draw her portion of my retirement I have to pay alimony still even though I have not retired.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Alimony and retirement are usually two different things.Alimony begins from the date of the decree and you make payments as long as it is ordered. Pension here and a QDRO is a division of marital property, she gets this strictly as a division of a marital asset.You would have to pay alimony from the date you were ordered until it ends.

Again the QDRO is totally separate and a division of the joint asset here, she gets her half or whatever portion the court orders, thats separate here from any alimony ordered.

If you have follow up here please just ask I want to make sure I was clear and whether you had any more follow up.I do appreciate the chance to help you today.