David Stewart
David Stewart, Attorney
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
95745447

I have 7 dogs. The law in my city imposes a limit of 3. In

Customer Question

I have 7 dogs. The law in my city imposes a limit of 3. In the event somebody turns me in and animal control knocks on my door, I can tell them to get a search warrant and come back later or I can let them in and be very cordial. I can also do lots of things in between. However, it is a fact that I have seven and I'm only supposed to have three. So what is my path of least resistance to keep the dogs out of the pound and ALSO keep me in my house as long as possible while I find other housing. Thanks.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 2 months ago.

Is there an option to have other people watch four of the dogs for a while? Another option is to start looking now for a place in an area without a numerical limit. Is this what you're asking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

No. My question was very simple. What do I do if animal control knocks on my door. I am not interested in any alternatives other than buying maximim time with the dogs in my possession, regardless of expense..

I am going to opt out because I believe your only option at that point would be to find temporary shelters for four dogs while finding a new place.

Expert:  David Stewart replied 2 months ago.

I am going to give you a link to an article what to do if Animal Control comes knocking on your door. http://www.lgd.org/when_animal_control_comes_knocking.pdf In short, do let them in and tell them to get off your property unless they have a warrant. Also, they will fine you most times before removing animals unless they are in poor shape and if that is the case they should be taken. I hope this helps. David

I noted a typo above, but to be clear do NOT let them in unless they have a warrant.