originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

In the petition I received paragraph 9 says that the court

Customer Question

In the petition I received paragraph 9 says that the court should divide the property and debt. My wife and I have already made these arrangements and there is nothing to divide. Should the statement be changed to reflect the agreement that we have made?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. This service is for information only. I cannot give you legal advice. Please stand by!

Hello:

No, that is not necessary. That language is there to protect you in case your agreement falls apart. It's boilerplate contained in most every petition for divorce. It will not affect your final order and it will not affect your agreement with your wife if the agreement remains intact.