How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31561
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to get divorce, I am 68 yrs. old and fighting cancer.

Customer Question

I need to get divorce, I am 68 yrs. old and fighting cancer. Have income of 600.00 a month. Have been married 26 years and lived together 13 yrs. prior to that. My husband made 72,000 last year as well as 800.00 from his mother for rent. I can't do this on my own and need help. I don't know what to do. He wants to this on our own but worried?
Many thanks,
Yvonne Low
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

IF you cannot afford a lawyer on your own, you can actually have the court require your spouse to pay for your legal representation. You'd have to consult a lawyer and request him/her to file a motion asking the judge to order your spouse to pay for your lawyer.

Expert:  Roger replied 7 months ago.

You're right that it is not a good idea to proceed with a divorce without a lawyer.......but it is generally permissible to use one lawyer as long as you don't have any real disagreements about property division, etc.