Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My son is 42 yrs old married with 3 children living in E.

Customer Question

My son is 42 yrs old married with 3 children living in E. Amherst NY. He is an alcoholic who has been to rehab twice. The most recent rehab ended shortly after it started and he left the facility AMA. his drivers license has been revoked but he still drives and drinks (sometime concurrently). Is there a mechanism to have him committed involuntarily to a rehab facility
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Generally, in order for a person to be involuntary committed, a court has to order it......and it is not likely that a court would be a stand-alone cause of action that would allow a judge to order an alcoholic to rehab. BUT, if child services got involved and said that the children were being neglected or endangered because he has an alcohol problem or because he's driving with the children while under the influence, etc., the court could order him to submit to alcohol rehab as a condition of being allowed to reunite with his children, family, etc.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 months ago.

There should be other similar ways, but he's going to have to be charged or brought into court under some particular issue and have rehab ordered as a condition of his penalty/punishment.