Sierra900
Sierra900, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice law in California
19551178

If someone from my wife's family opened a facebook account

Customer Question

if someone from my wife's family opened a facebook account just to see my history and make problems for me and i added them without knowing, what are my right?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Sierra900 replied 7 months ago.

I will try and help. First of all, "make problems for me" is vague. Secondly, regardless, you have no expectation of privacy in information you knowingly publish to the web. For that reason, unless they are libeling/slandering you and you can prove falsity and damages, about the only practical thing you can do is to un-friend them.

I hope this helps.

DCG

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, i'll try give you more information. I'm blind, so I think it's her brother who did this. what they did is basicly is try to get me to go out with a girl, long story short i didn't go and i said that clearly to them. I'm not sure who is in the picture because i can't see it. the reason i know it's them is 1 she withdrew all the money on the joint account. 2. she doesn't answer my calls and text messages.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm an international student, and we were in the process of filing for the change of status and to get a green card.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She did however, talk to me this morning.

This is confusing. If you did not go out on a date with someone you did not know, how did she get into your bank account and why did you have a joint bank account with her?

DCG

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the privacy
setting i have on facebook is not public, only visible to friends.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok, I have a joint bank account with my wife. I didn't go out with anyone.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
what else do you need to clarify it for you?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how can i explain it better* can you ask me more questions?

Are you saying that your wife thought you went out with some other girl and withdrew all the money from your joint bank account?

DCG

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm saying that they created a fake facebook account to find something to be used agenst me.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I know it's confusing. so i understand if you didn't get it yet.

Ok, then un-friend this person, make your account private and ignore then. If and when they do something against you, write us back and tell us about it and we will see what, if anything, we can do.

I hope this helps.

DCG

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
for now other than unfriending that person, do nothing and behave normal correct? but i can't apply for the green card, she (the wife) took all the money on the joint account.

That sounds about right. I would contact her and demand some of the money if it is in fact partially yours.

I know this is thin, but I hope it helps.

DCG

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, let's assume the worse, if they ask for divorce, what can i do? just go with the flow?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
muslim people are a little crazy :) i'm muslim, but not as crazy.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
are you still there?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
David?

Yes, if she files for divorce there is not much you can do but go with the flow.

DCG