Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My ex husband is taking me back to court to try to lower his

Customer Question

My ex husband is taking me back to court to try to lower his child support payments. I live in Maryland. He lives in NY. He sent me a summons to appear in a NY court through the mail, without proof of service, or return receipt. Is this type of service considered a legal summons and am I obligated to attend this court hearing without being officially served. What would happen, if I didn't appear at the hearing?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, a summons is required to be served by personal service, however, ignoring a summons is never a good idea, since if the respondent doesn't appear in court or doesn't have his/her attorney appear, there is always a possibility that the court might not verify the proper service of the summons and the judge might simply find respondent in default and will grant whatever relief the petitioner is seeking and then it would be up to the respondent to contest the ruling / order of the court.

I wish you the best of luck!