JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

An old acquaintance that I met is falsely accusing me of

Customer Question

An old acquaintance that I met is falsely accusing me of having sex with her when she was 16 in trying to get money from me. What should I do?
She is 24 now
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

How old are you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I met her thru a site called backpage
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Your next step should be hiring a lawyer that does criminal defense work. There is no statute of limitations on felonies involving sex with a minor and there is no telling what she is going to claim happened so you need to get "in front" of this and your lawyer will help you to gather evidence to use if she tries to report this. This may involve hiring a private investigator to bug your phone or, since this is extortion, it may even involve working with the District Attorney to get her charged.

There is nothing you can do without a lawyer that will do anything to help you and many things you can do will make it worse. Many people who get involved in this kind of deal end up having to pay these people over and over until they have no more money and then they get reported.

You can find a lawyer to assist you by going to and in the section for Area of Practice enter Criminal Law.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 month ago.

Here is a good summary of "sex crimes" in NC:

It is a little old but the laws haven't changed much.